On 12/07/2019 9:43 p.m., Rolf Turner wrote:

This is fussing over a very minor issue, but ... well, I have OCD, I guess.

I've tried adding extra "blank" columns between my real columns (extra
\tab's with blank fields) but these have no effect.  The blanks are
simply suppressed.  There does not seem to be (perhaps I'm overlooking
something) any equivalent in the Rd syntax of \hspace{} in LaTeX.

Can anyone suggest any possibilities?

You can include raw HTML or Latex in the Rd file using the \out{} macro. See the example in section 2.11 of Writing R Extensions.

In HTML there are a lot of "entities" for different size spaces, e.g. " ", " ", etc. You can use "\hspace{}" in LaTeX.

Duncan Murdoch