Dear R developer list,
in general, if functionality from other packages are used in one's own package, it is of course the best way to declare the other package as an import. What is the straight forward way for only minor functions or functionality, especially when the other package comes with a lot dependencies itself? Is it advisable or ok to only use the according third party source code snippet and cite the other package (of course if the license of the package allows it; own package is AGPL, third package is GPL)? Or should the third party package always be installed as a dependency? I want to avoid bloating the installation process but it is very important for me not to violate academic standards, intellectual properties and best practise.

Thanks,
Wolfgang