I think it should be fine to have your package in a subdirectory: this works as expected.

remotes::install_github("dmurdoch/rgl/pkg/rgl")

The only disadvantages to this structure are (1) it's a little bit surprising to users (who might try install_github("r-forge/rgl" and wonder why it didn't work and (2) setting up Travis machinery takes a little more effort to get all processes to work in the proper subdirectories (see the glmmTMB package for examples).

I'm not very good at Git, but always get a bit confused when I try to track changes in a file that has moved ...