On 01.09.2022 16:48, J C Nash wrote:
Hi,

I've a package where it has been suggested that one of the functions -- call it "myfn()" -- should be called something else, say "thefn()". Of course, I'll
need to keep the old name around for a while.

Web search has suggested simple assignment of

     thefn <- myfn

but I cannot seem to get this to work with R CMD check when I put this in a .R file in the code and put alias and usage stanzas in documentation. I get alias and missing argument type errors. I've tried a number of variations on this theme
without appreciable success.

Can you make the package available? It should work.

Best,
Uwe

A workaround is to copy the entire function with Roxygen2 documentation and
name change, but this seems inelegant.

Is there a better way e.g., using something like onLoad ? Pointers to working
examples in CRAN or Github packages would be welcome.

Best, JN