I see the same thing. This sounds like a problem in the handling of methods that has been discussed somewhat recently:

  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2022-September/081971.html

The problem is that when the binary is built, some code from other packages is kept as part of it. When that other package is updated, you need a new source install of your own package (or a rebuild at CRAN to replace the binary) to cache the new code.

This can also be done explicitly by package startup code; I think this thread

  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-package-devel/2022q3/008481.html

turned out to be a case where rstan was caching something, and an update to ggplot2 didn't work with the cached data. Given the error message, your issue sounds more like the first one.

I don't recall if there was a resolution. Maybe you can ask the CRAN maintainers to rebuild buildmer.

Duncan Murdoch