If you are on Ubuntu, my guess is likely not relevant (unless maybe the server holding your files is running Windows).

Duncan Murdoch

On 30/08/2023 12:32 p.m., Emanuele Cordano wrote:
Thanks . I’m working on Linux Ubuntu 20.04. I’m seeing the url you sent.

Il giorno mer 30 ago 2023 alle 18:23 Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.dun...@gmail.com <mailto:murdoch.dun...@gmail.com>> ha scritto:

    On 30/08/2023 12:03 p.m., Emanuele Cordano wrote:
     > Dear list,
     >
     > I'm creating a package. At a first build, I found out the
    following error.
     > I parsed DESCRIPTION  file and I did not find any possible causes
    for this
     > error. I searched on the web , but I found no clear explanation
    of this
     > error. Have you ever experienced with this? What does this error
    mean ?
     > I'm using an Rstudio server, but it's the first time it happens after
     > building several other developed packages.
     >

     > Error reading package DESCRIPTION: system error 71 (Protocol error)

    That error says that R couldn't read the DESCRIPTION file.  It
    sounds as
    though you are on Windows, your file is on a network share, and the
    server won't let you connect.  If that's the case, this link discusses
    the issue:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/operating-system-error-71-this-remote-computer-has/74270db8-4522-4e24-a494-5bf75becc9da

--
Emanuele Cordano, PhD
Environmental Engineer / Ingegnere per l' Ambiente e il territorio nr.