ello,

I have added some functions to read binary files in my asteRisk package. The
binary files that are read contain just arrays of coefficients and metadata
about these.

I would like to provide a small file of these to be used in the examples of the
man page for the functions that read them. However, section 1.1 of "Writing R
Extensions” states that no binary files are accepted in submissions to CRAN
(https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html)

I was wondering if it would be acceptable to download the example file to a
temporary file in the example themselves (and in fact, also in unit tests), and
then read it from there?

I could not find any statement against this in “Writing R Extensions”, but I
would like to confirm that this is OK to do before submitting an updated
version of the package to CRAN.

Thanks a lot in advance

Best wishes,

Rafa