This is a narrow view of the world. As has been mentioned here by Tomas, the
issue at this point is that a very widely-used operating system does not allow
the absolute path to be longer than 254 characters unless users make
possibly-breaking changes to their OS configuration. If a user is currently
working in a directory with a path that is 150 characters long, and you try to
un-tar a package there, it will work. If they are in a directory path that is
170 characters long, then the un-tar will fail. They then have to do some
research and discover that they have to share the total absolute path length
with the package creators, and they become accustomed to working in directories
with path length no longer than 154 characters.

Now you want to propose giving the entire path length budget plus 2 to the
package developers. Not gonna happen. And Dirk wants 50 more characters. Then
the user working at 150 characters tries to un-tar a package with paths 150
characters long and 150 user plus 150 package gets you to 300 characters and
what used to work for them stops working suddenly.

I think a package developer can figure out how to shorten their internal paths
easier than thousands of users can restructure their historically useful
directory structures or break their existing software. I vote no to both of
these proposals.

Eventually, Microsoft is going to virtualize running old Windows APIs, and once
people migrate away from the old API then this stupid problem will go away. But
as it is we are stuck.