On 05/03/2024 12:08 p.m., Josiah Parry wrote:
My understanding is that the order of CRAN repos available in `options("repos")` are tried sequentially. So if cran.r-rproject.org <http://cran.r-rproject.org> is first, that will be tried. If the package is not available there, the next repository will be tried.

I think that's correct, but as in the example below, the R-universe repos is usually listed first.

I do appreciate the ease of release to R-universe quite a bit particularly because you don’t need to vendor rust deps.

Is it really a release if the author doesn't know it happened? I found out about "my" site dmurdoch.r-universe.dev today, but it seems to have existed for quite a while.

Duncan Murdoch

On Tue, Mar 5, 2024 at 11:56 AM Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.dun...@gmail.com <mailto:murdoch.dun...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 05/03/2024 8:02 a.m., Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

     > On 5 March 2024 at 06:25, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
     > | You could make a compatible version of `survivalmodels`
    available on a
     > | non-CRAN website, and refer to that website in the
     > | Additional_repositories field of DESCRIPTION.
     >
     > Every r-universe sub-site fits that requirement. For this package
    Google's
    <https://raphaels1.r-universe.dev/survivalmodels> and it carries

    c('https://raphaels1.r-universe.dev <https://raphaels1.r-universe.dev>',
> 'https://cloud.r-project.org <https://cloud.r-project.org>'))

    I have mixed feelings about r-universe.  On the one hand, it is really
    nicely put together, and it offers the service described above.  On the
    other, it's probably a bad idea to follow its advice and use
    install.packages() with `repos` as shown:  that will install
    development
    versions of packages, not releases.

    Do you know if it's possible for a package to suggest the CRAN version
    first, with an option like the above only offered as a pre-release
    option?

    Duncan Murdoch

https://cran-archive.r-project.org/web/checks/2024/2024-03-02_check_results_survivalmodels.html