Dear Michael:

Your suggestion worked. I used install.packages("Matrix"), picked a mirror
in Zurich, Switzerland, and after a lot of copying and organizing, R
reported having a working version of Matrix.  My version is now 0.999375-16,
not 0.999375-3. By the way, the old mirror I was using was stat.cmu.edu.

Thanks so much for you kind attention.

Sincerely,

Niall Bolger