My system is amd64 (intel i5-5200U) so the processor can't be the problem.

thanks

On 03/23/2016 10:13 AM, Matthew Simpson wrote:
I just essentially the same question on this mailing list and the problem ended up being that my cpu's architecture was not supported by the ubuntu releases (or any releases for that matter). I had to build R from source, but it wasn't much headache.

The Ubuntu releases only support i386 and amd64 --- i.e. 32 bit & 64 bit intel and amd cpus and not, e.g., the arm cpus that are becoming more common in lower end laptops. On Debian there is an armel release, but not an armhf release --- so if your cpu is armel you could switch to Debian to avoid having to build from source.

Matt