On 04/29/2018 09:30 AM, Jeroen Ooms wrote:
On Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 10:00 PM, Michael Rutter <marut...@gmail.com> wrote:
These have not been mirrored to CRAN as I want to have the other r-cran
packages built against R 3.5 before adding to CRAN.  Worried about breaking
working systems currently on R 3.4.4.

Thanks, Michael. I did some simple tests, upgrading existing r-base
installations to R 3.5. on Xenial and Bionic, and initially apt did
the correct thing of removing the incompatible r-cran-xyz packages.

However then I tried installing the (knowingly incompatible)
r-cran-rcpp from c2d4u and apt didn't stop me. Do the r-cran-xyz
packages from c2d4u not have the same r-api-nn dependency
restrictions?

Since c2d4u is (for the most part) automatic, it only grabs depends from the CRAN web page. Therefore, there is no r-api-nn dependency for packages built from c2d4u source packages. How that effects things is unclear. As Dirk just posted, it was an executive decision that we made (or possibly ignored).

However, sometimes I need to borrow a package from Debian (when someone else has built it on Launchpad before I did), and those will have the r-api-nn dependency. There are also the universe packages.

From my end, this is a mess. Rebuilding the universe packages for 3.5 is a slow process (crazy dependencies). Plan is to build everything against 3.5, but it will take some time.

Michael