On 8 Dec 2008, at 2:53, stephen sefick wrote:

A way that may work is use the axis scores as y in a regression- this
seems like it would let you interpret how the communities are
distributed in species space.  Just a thought

NEVER do this! The rotation is not determined in NMDS. If you rotate the NMDS solution you will always have the very same solutios, but the correlations with the "axis scores" will change. The whole point of having envfit/vectorfit in vegan is that you don't need to calculate the correlations with the axes.

The axis rotation is determined in eigenvector ordination, but that does not mean that the direction is meaningful. You can see this with envfit/vectorfit in unconstrained eigenvector ordination, but also in constrained ordination: very rarely the fitted vectors or biplot arrows are parallel to axes. Only if axes are parallel to axes (and go along the axes), then it would be meaningful to look a the relationship of axis and something else.

And indeed, there is no constrained NMDS in vegan. It is unconstrained with an interpretation through vector fitting.

cheers, jari oksanen
Stephen Sefick