Dear Group,

I am currently preparing a lecture on 'Cluster Analysis' and I found two very different ways to interpret a dendrogram. The first option is to 'cut' a dendrogram at a specific height, like it is possible with the cluster package.

The second option identifies the 'optimal clusters' at different heights, for example see McCune etal. 2002 Analysis of Ecological Communities Figure 11.3.

Now these are two very different ways of interpreting and I am wondering which one is 'allowed' or perhaps the more practical way? Is it possible to combine both? I.e. first search for the optimal cut level and then adjust each clustering height by aggregation at heigher levels?

Regards,

Jens