vegan comes with a few vignettes, have a look at those. You can start with
this one:
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/vegan/vignettes/diversity-vegan.pdf

>From the vignette:

R> data(dune)
R> data(dune.taxon)
R> taxdis <- taxa2dist(dune.taxon, varstep=TRUE)
R> mod <- taxondive(dune, taxdis)

First few lines of dune.taxon:

                Genus           Family          Order       Subclass
 Class
Belper         Bellis       Asteraceae      Asterales       Asterids
Dicots
Empnig       Empetrum      Empetraceae       Ericales       Asterids
Dicots
Junbuf         Juncus        Juncaceae       Juncales    Commelinids
Monocots
Junart         Juncus        Juncaceae       Juncales    Commelinids
Monocots
Airpra           Aira          Poaceae         Poales    Commelinids
Monocots

Have a look at dune.taxon. I hope that gets you started.

Cheers,
Roman

2012/2/1 Gian Maria Niccolò Benucci <gian.benu...@gmail.com>

> Dear Members,
>
> I would try to use indices of taxonomic diversity and distinctness to
> differentiate two mycorrhizal fungal communities. My problem is up to
> the*dis
> * object required to the function for the calculation. In the function help
> I red that "function* taxa2dist* can produce a suitable dist object from a
> classification table". How should I should create this classification
> table? How it should look-like?
> Thank you very much in advance,
>
> Gian
>
> --