Hi,

Centring will help reduce the correlation amongst covariates -- it is a good (and old) trick. A surer way is to use orthogonal polynomials. They are slightly harder to interpret, but often this is immaterial. Try poly(x,3) and ?poly. Another option would be to ditch the idea of using a global polynomial and use semi-parametric methods, such as B-splines (in library splines), or GAMMs (in library mgcv).

I fear that this is all fairly academic though. Cubics may be good enough -- check the model through diagnostics. Even though this is not trivial for mixed models.

What concerns me a bit is the comment that the dependent variable is obtained from an NMDS. How is the uncertainty in the original data propagated through the NMDS and the mixed model? At all? Are there any comments / opinions about this? Intrigued.

Scott