From: Torsten Hauffe <torsten.hau...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, 4 April 2019 6:21 PM
To: David Warton <david.war...@unsw.edu.au>
Cc: r-sig-ecology@r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R-sig-eco] interpreting ecological distance approaches (Bray
Curtis after various data transformation)

Great point David!

Since Tim was referring to microbial communities, the gjam package is similar
to mvabund, boral etc. and the microbial example discussed in the following
paper might be of interest.

https://esajournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ecm.1241

With that being about R itself, I may go a bit off topic:
In all those multivariate GLM approaches, is there a way to disentangle
richness differences (or nestedness) and turnover like we can do with pairwise
distances?
(See the inspiring discussion between Carvalho et al. and Baselga et al.;
summarized in http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/geb.12207/abstract )
Since different biological processes may cause these patterns, separating
richness differences and species turnover is of interest. Maybe the the row
effect in those multivariate GLMs could be estimated as response to
environmental predictors?

Cheers,
Torsten

On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 at 01:19, David Warton