Hi there,

I'm having trouble with fitting a PERMANOVA (adonis) to my data and am actually
not sure if it is possible at all.

I have a pitfall arthropod data set for 5 research areas and 3 consecutive
field seasons.

I now want to investigate if the variability in species composition between
research areas is larger than the variability between the field seasons of each
area. The objective here is to investigate whether one year of sampling would
be enough for the next monitoring period. I'm unsure how to correctly include
that the plot data is not independent, as it has been recorded 3 times... In my
species data set, I have 3 rows for each plot (a_1, a_2, a_3), reflecting the
field seasons and in my environmental data set I included for each of these 3
rows the original plot ID (e.g. a).

My code is:

adonis.II(arthropods.wide.pa ~ research.area + field.season, method='mount'

, data = arthropods.env, by = "terms", strata=arthropods.bo.env2$PlotID)

I did the same thing, for each of the research areas individually (without
using strata).

adonis2(arthropods.wide.GZ ~ field.season, method='bray' ,   data =

arthropods.env2, by = "terms").

Is the first piece of code the right way to include the time structure - can it
even be done? Or do you have any recommendations on what to use instead of a
PERMANOVA?

Cheers,

Conny