Introduction to Machine Learning and Deep Learning using R (IMDL02)

17th - 18th November

https://www.prstatistics.com/course/introduction-to-machine-learning-and-deep-learning-using-r-imdl02/

Course Overview:

In this two day course, we provide an introduction to machine learning and
deep learning using R. We begin by providing an overview of the machine
learning and deep learning landscape, and then turn to some major
machine learning applications. We begin with binary and multiclass
classification problems, then look at decision trees and random forests,
then look at unsupervised learning methods, all of which are major topics
in machine learning. We then cover artificial neural networks and deep
learning. For this, we will use the powerful TensorFlow and Keras
deep learning toolboxes. As examples of deep learning nets, we will cover
the relatively easy to understand multilayer perceptron and then turn to
convolutional neural networks.

THIS IS ONE COURSE IN OUR R SERIES – LOOK OUT FOR COURSES WITH THE SAME
COURSE IMAGE TO FIND MORE IN THIS SERIES

Wednesday 17th – Classes from 12:00 to 20:00

Topic 1: Machine learning and Deep Learning Landscape. Concepts like
machine learning, deep learning, big data, data science have become widely
used and celebrated in the last 10 years. However, their definitions are
relatively nebulous, and how they related to one another and to major
fields like artificial intelligence and general statistics are not simple
matters. In this introduction, we briefly overview the field of machine
learning and deep learning, discussing its major characteristics and
sub-topics.

Topic 2: Classification problems. Classification problems is one of the
bread and butter topics in machine learning, and is usually the first topic
covered in introductions to machine learning. Here, we will cover
image classification (itself a “hello world” type problem in machine
learning), and particularly focus on logistic
regression and support vector machines (SVMs).

Topic 3: Decision trees and random forests. Decision trees are a widely
used machine learning method, particularly for classification. Random
forests are an ensemble learning extension of decision trees whereby large
number of decision tree classifiers are aggregated, which often leads to
much improved performance.

Thursday 18th – Classes from 12:00 to 20:00

Topic 4: Unsupervised machine learning. Unsupervised learning is
essentially a method of finding patterns in unclassified data. Here, we
will look at two of the most widely used unsupervised techniques:
k-means clustering and probabilistic mixture models.

Topic 5: Introducing artificial neural networks and deep learning. R
provides many packages for artificial neural networks and deep learning.
These include Keras and TensorFlow, which are in fact interfaces to
Python packages. These are the most widely used major packages for deep
learning in R. More recently, native support
for deep learning using R via Torch has been introduced. We will discuss
this, but our focus will be on Keras and TensorFlow given that widespread
use.

Topic 6: Multilayer perceptons. Multilayer perceptrons are very powerful,
yet relatively easy to understand, artificial neural networks. They are
also the simplest type of deep learning model. Here, we will build and
train a multilayer perceptron for a classification problem.

Topic 7: Convolutional neural networks. Convolutional neural networks
(CNNs) have proved high successful at image classification, primarily due
to their translation invariance, which is highly suitable for computational
vision. Here, we use PyTorch to build and train a CNN for image
classification.

Other upcoming courses

FREE 1 DAY INTRO TO R AND R STUDIO (FIRR01)

https://www.prstatistics.com/course/free-1-day-intro-to-r-and-r-studio-firr01/

Introduction to generalised linear models using R and Rstudio (IGLM04)
https://www.prstatistics.com/course/introduction-to-generalised-linear-models-using-r-and-rstudio-iglm04/
3 November 2021 - 4 November 2021

Introduction to mixed models using R and Rstudio (IMMR05)
https://www.prstatistics.com/course/introduction-to-mixed-models-using-r-and-rstudio-immr05/
10 November 2021 - 11 November 2021

Introduction to Machine Learning and Deep Learning using R (IMDL02)
https://www.prstatistics.com/course/introduction-to-machine-learning-and-deep-learning-using-r-imdl02/
17 November 2021 - 18 November 2021

Model selection and model simplification (MSMS02)
https://www.prstatistics.com/course/model-selection-and-model-simplification-msms02/
24 November 2021 - 25 November 2021

Species distribution modelling with Bayesian statistics in R (SDMB03)
www.prstatistics.com/course/species-distribution-modelling-with-bayesian-statistics-in-r-sdmb03/
6 December 2021 - 10 December 2021

Introduction to Hidden Markov and State Space models (HMSS01)
https://www.prstatistics.com/course/introduction-to-hidden-markov-and-state-space-models-hmss01/
8 December 2021 - 9 December 2021

Time Series Data Analysis (TSDA01)
https://www.prstatistics.com/course/time-series-data-analysis-tsda01/
14 December 2021 - 17 December 2021

Bayesian Data Analysis (BADA01)
https://www.prstatistics.com/course/bayesian-data-analysis-bada01/
10th January 2022 - 14th January 2022

Introduction to Stan for Bayesian Data Analysis (ISBD01)
https://www.prstatistics.com/course/introduction-to-stan-for-bayesian-data-analysis-isbd01/
18th January 2022 - 20th January 2022

Stable Isotope Mixing Models using SIBER, SIAR, MixSIAR (SIMM08)
https://www.prstatistics.com/course/stable-isotope-mixing-models-using-r-simm08/
1st February 2022 - 4th February 2022

Species Distribution Modeling using R (SDMR04)
www.prstatistics.com/course/species-distribution-modeling-using-r-sdmr04/
21 September 2021 - 30 September 2021

Introduction to eco-phylogenetics and comparative analyses using R (ECPH01)
This course will be delivered live
https://www.prstatistics.com/course/introduction-to-eco-phylogenetics-and-comparative-analyses-using-r-ecph01/

22 September 2021 - 28 September 2021

Functional ecology from organism to ecosystem: theory and computation
(FEER02)

https://www.prstatistics.com/course/functional-ecology-from-organism-to-ecosystem-theory-and-computation-feer02/

5th September 2022 - 9th September 2022

--
Oliver Hooker PhD.
PR statistics

Species Distribution Modeling using R

21 September 2021 - 30 September

Introduction to eco-phylogenetics and comparative analyses using R 22
September 2021 - 28 September 2021

Multivariate analysis of ecological communities in R with the VEGAN package

4 October 2021 - 8 October

Introduction to Data Wrangling and Data Visualization using R

4 October 2021 - 8 October 2021

Introduction to Bayesian modelling with INLA

4 October 2021 - 8 October 2021

 Landscape genetic data analysis using R

18 October 2021 - 27 October 2021