From: R-sig-ecology <r-sig-ecology-boun...@r-project.org> On Behalf Of
Stratford, Jeff
Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2022 5:06 PM
To: Dixon, Philip M [STAT] <pdi...@iastate.edu>
Cc: r-sig-ecology@r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R-sig-eco] Modeling variability along a gradient using GAMLSS

Thanks all. These are great suggestions.

Someone much smarter than I am needs to write a paper on the ecology and
statistical analysis of gradients. It seems that many response variables are
closely tied to an environmental variable on one end of the gradient but not
the other. For example, my work with migrant birds show that species richness
declines with increasing urbanization and the relationship is tight past 30%
urbanization but less than 30% the relationship isn't so clear. So many
non-urban (not necessarily forested) sites have many more species than urban
sites but a number of sites have very few species. So it seems a second
variable kicks in when urbanization is low. My guess would be forest edge. But
if you include forest edge in a regression model it would show up as
insignificant because the overall pattern is driven by urban cover.  Hope this
all makes sense. Thanks for listening!
Jeffrey A. Stratford, PhD.
Department of Biology and Earth System Sciences
84 W South Street
Wilkes University, PA 18766 USA
https://sites.google.com/a/wilkes.edu/stratford/