The third course in our 8 part R-series is an introduction to model
selection and model simplification.

ONLINE COURSE – Model selection and model simplification (MSMS04)

https://www.prstatistics.com/course/online-course-model-selection-and-model-simplification-msms04/

9th - 11th january 2024

Please feel free to share!

Limited early bird tickets available prioced @ £150.00

Courses are recorded to accommodate different time zones. All attendees
will have access to recordings for a further 3 months after the course to
revisit any of the classes.

*COURSE OVERVIEW - *This course covers the important and general topics of
statistical model building, model evaluation, model selection, model
comparison, model simplification, and model averaging. These topics are
vitally important to almost every type of statistical analysis, yet these
topics are often poorly or incompletely understood. We begin by considering
the fundamental issue of how to measure model fit and a model’s predictive
performance, and discuss a wide range of other major model fit measurement
concepts like likelihood, log likelihood, deviance, residual sums of
squares etc. We then turn to nested model comparison, particularly in
general and generalized linear models, and their mixed effects
counterparts. We then consider the key concept of out-of-sample predictive
performance, and discuss over-fitting or how excellent fits to the observed
data can lead to very poor generalization performance. As part of this
discussion of out-of-sample generalization, we introduce leave-one-out
cross-validation and Akaike Information Criterion (AIC). We then cover
general concepts and methods related to variable selection, including
stepwise regression, ridge regression, Lasso, and elastic nets. Following
this, we turn to model averaging, which is an arguably always preferable
alternative to model selection. Finally, we cover Bayesian methods of model
comparison. Here, we describe how Bayesian methods allow us to easily
compare completely distinct statistical models using a common metric. We
also describe how Bayesian methods allow us to fit all the candidate models
of potential interest, including cases where traditional methods fail.

Please email oliverhoo...@prstatistics.com with any questions.

--

Oliver Hooker PhD.
PR statistics