*We have now added 'Advancing in R (ADVRPR)' to our recorded courses page!*

https://www.prstats.org/course/advancing-in-r-advrpr/

Moving our courses online due to the COVID pandemic has allowed us to
archive all our previous courses and offer them in a recorded format.

*This is ideal for;*
People with busy schedules who can’t take long periods off work to attend
workshops.
Allows attendees to work at their own pace with email support.
Suitable for people from all timezones.
The recordings are taken from our Live Online Courses which ensures all
materials and software packages are constantly up-to-date

You can still contact the instrcutor with any questions

Please feel free to share!

A full list of recorded courses currently available can be found here
<https://www.prstats.org/recorded-courses/>

Course duration - approx. 35 hours (5 x 7 hour days)

*Overview*
This course is designed to provide attendees with a comprehensive
understanding of

statistical modelling and its applications in various fields, such as
ecology, biology, sociology, agriculture, and health. We cover all
foundational aspects of modelling, including all coding aspects, ranging
from data wrangling, visualisation and exploratory data analysis, to
generalized linear mixed models, assessing goodness-of-fit and carrying out
model comparison.

*Data wrangling*
For data wrangling, we focus on tools provided by R&#39;s tidyverse. Data
wrangling is the art of taking raw and messy data and formatting and
cleaning it so that data analysis and visualization may be performed on it.
Done poorly, it can be a time consuming, laborious, and error-prone.
Fortunately, the tools provided by R&#39;s tidyverse allow us to do data
wrangling in a fast, efficient, and high-level manner, which can have
dramatic consequence for ease and speed with which we analyse data. We
start with how to read data of different types into R, we then cover in
detail all the dplyr tools such as select, filter, mutate, and others.
Here, we will also cover the pipe operator (%&gt;%) to create data
wrangling pipelines that take raw messy data on the one end and return
cleaned tidy data on the other. We then cover how to perform descriptive or
summary statistics on our data using dplyr’s group_by and summarise
functions. We then turn to combining and merging data. Here, we will
consider how to concatenate data frames, including nconcatenating all data
files in a folder, as well as cover the powerful SQL-like join operations
that allow us to merge information in different data frames. The final
topic we will consider is how to “pivot” data from a “wide” to “long”
format and back using tidyr’s pivot_longer and pivot_wider functions.

*Data visualisation*
For visualisation, we focus on the ggplot2 package. We begin by providing a
brief overview of the general principles data visualization, and an
overview of the general principles behind ggplot. We then proceed to cover
the major types of plots for visualizing distributions of univariate data:
histograms, density plots, barplots, and Tukey boxplots. In all of these
cases, we will consider how to visualize multiple distributions
simultaneously on the same plot using different colours and
&quot;facet&quot; plots. We then turn to the visualization of bivariate
data using scatterplots. Here, we will explore how to apply linear and
nonlinear smoothing functions to the data, how to add marginal histograms
to the scatterplot, add labels to points, and scale each point by the value
of a third variable. We then cover some additional plot types that are
often related but not identical to those major types covered during the
beginning of the course: frequency polygons, area plots,  line plots,
uncertainty plots, violin plots, and geospatial mapping. We then consider
more fine grained control of the plot by changing axis scales, axis labels,
axis tick points, colour palettes, and ggplot &quot;themes&quot;. Finally,
we consider how to make plots for presentations and publications. Here, we
will introduce how to insert plots into documents using RMarkdown, and also
how to create labelled grids of subplots of the kind seen in many published
articles.

*Generalized linear models*
Generalized linear models are generalizations of linear regression models
for situations where the outcome variable is, for example, a binary, or
ordinal, or count variable, etc. The specific models we cover include
binary, binomial, and categorical logistic regression, Poisson and negative
binomial regression for count variables, as well as extensions for
overdispersed and zero-inflated data. We begin by providing a brief
overview of the normal general linear model. Understanding this model is
vital for the proper understanding of how it is generalized in generalized
linear models. Next, we introduce the widely used binary logistic
regression model, which is is a regression model for when the outcome
variable is binary. Next, we cover the binomial logistic regression, and
the multinomial case, which is for modelling outcomes variables that are
polychotomous, i.e., have more than two categorically distinct values. We
will then cover Poisson regression, which is widely used for modelling
outcome variables that are counts (i.e the number of times something has
happened). We then cover extensions to accommodate overdispersion, starting
with the quasi-likelihood approach, then covering the negative binomial and
beta-binomial models for counts and discrete proportions, respectively.
Finally, we will cover zero-inflated Poisson and negative binomial models,
which are for count data with excessive numbers of zero observations.

*Mixed models*
We will focus primarily on multilevel linear models, but also cover
multilevel generalized linear models. Likewise, we will also describe
Bayesian approaches to multilevel modelling. We will begin by focusing on
random effects multilevel models. These models make it clear how multilevel
models are in fact models of models. In addition, random effects models
serve as a solid basis for understanding mixed effects, i.e. fixed and
random effects, models. In this coverage of random effects, we will also
cover the important concepts of statistical shrinkage in the estimation of
effects, as well as intraclass correlation. We then proceed to cover linear
mixed effects models, particularly focusing on varying intercept and/or
varying slopes regression models. We will then cover further aspects of
linear mixed effects models, including multilevel models for nested and
crossed data data, and group level predictor variables. Towards the end of
the course we also cover generalized linear mixed models (GLMMs), how to
accommodate overdispersion through individual-level random effects, as well
as Bayesian approaches to multilevel levels using the brms R package.

*Model selection and model simplification*
Throughout the course we consider the fundamental issue of how to measure
model fit and a model’s predictive performance, and discuss a wide range of
other major model fit
measurement concepts like likelihood, log likelihood, deviance, and
residual sums of squares. We thoroughly explore nested model comparison,
particularly in general and
generalized linear models, and their mixed effects counterparts. We discuss
out-of-sample generalization, and introduce leave-one-out cross-validation
and the Akaike Information Criterion (AIC). We also cover general concepts
and methods related to variable selection, including stepwise regression,
ridge regression, Lasso, and elastic nets. Finally, we turn to model
averaging, which may represent a preferable alternative to model selection.
Please email oliverhoo...@prstatistics.com with any questions

--
Best wishes,

Oliver