System: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.5 (Santiago)

I’m working on a RHEL6.5 cluster with no EPEL or root access to install EPEL.

I have installed zlib 1.2.11 (and other necessary libraries) in my home
directory.
Problem is the cluster has an older zlib library (1.2.4) and R does not accept
that. How can I force configure to look in my home/[username]/packages/lib for
zlib?

[username@hpcc3 R-3.4.0]$ ./configure --prefix=/home/[username]/packages
--with-x=no --with-readline=no --includedir=/home/[username]/packages/include
–libdir=/home/[username]/packages/lib

checking for inflateInit2_ in -lz... yes

checking zlib.h usability... yes

checking zlib.h presence... yes

checking for zlib.h... yes

checking if zlib version >= 1.2.5... no

checking whether zlib support suffices... configure: error: zlib library and
headers are required

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]