On upgrading my F28 to F29, I've found that R-core and a number of R packages:

R-evaluate R-glue R-highr R-knitr R-magrittr R-markdown R-mime R-stringi R-stringr R-yaml

are installed, although I only ever install R from source and always keep my Rs locally. So I don't use Fedora R rpms, but these were installed without my command.

Something in texlive is doing this. A remedy is to yse rpm -r --nodeps <> to get rid of them, because dnf remove R-core takes out texlive too. I do use the RStudio rpm, but by command-line install, so it isn't the culprit. However, the choice of packages points to an injudicious editing of an rpm dependency list in some texlive package related to rmarkdown or similar.

I'm reporting this here in case other Fedora users are puzzled to see another R (or an rpm R) appearing on their systems if they also use texlive.

If anyone has any ideas about resolving this properly, I'd be grateful (it isn't the best way to spread the use of R among Fedora texlive users IMO). Unfortunately, DNF/RPM and likely other packaging systems have issues detecting user-installed programs like R, so trying "R RHOME" isn't going to work when say ~/bin is where R lives. Almost certainly, the texlive component should not be included in any scheme groups.

I would CC RStudio, but support does not expose an email, so I'm CC-ing the rmarkown maintainer.

Roger

--
Roger Bivand
Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.