Hi,

How is represented your data: a regular grid: raster, irregular samples:
points, or slots/parcels: areas?

If you want to determine species richness, you can use simpson and shannon
indexes with diversity package.

On a point pattern object, use spatstat::marktable function as mentionned in
http://r-sig-geo.2731867.n2.nabble.com/density-diversity-of-points-td6355348.html

On a raster, use raster::focal

Then you may perform a linear regression with your explanatory variables.