Robert,

While you're re-opening the code, I'd like to ask about the col parameter. I
personally had trouble with setting the right range for my palette as zlim
is overwritten. For instance I have a raster which range isn't symmetric
around 0, but I have a palette which I'd like to be symmetric around 0. I
could solve that in plot() by setting zlim=c(-10,10) so color would stretch
from -10 to 10 and be centered on 0, but it's not working in plot3D.

Using a drape with @legend@colortable appeared to me as a solution by
reading the code, but I couldn't find any setter for it (is it new ?).

library(raster)
library(rgl)
r <- raster(matrix(c(-5,rep(0, 14), 10), nrow=4))
cr <- colorRampPalette(c('blue','white','red'))
# I'd like 0's to be white
plot(r, col=cr(21)) # problem
plot(r, zlim=c(-10,10), col=cr(21)) # solution
plot3D(r, zlim=c(-10,10), col=cr)

Etienne