This doesn't seem to be a permission issue, as there are several other
compiled modules in the R library directory. It seems pretty clear that
either libgdal.so.1 is pointing to the wrong place, or does not have
references to PROJ.4.

Any ideas? Any hints? I could sure use the extra computing power right now.

Thanks!
JP