Hi Jose,

If I understand correctly, some of the points lie outside of the polygons,
but you want to pick up the information for the nearest associated
polygon?

I think the easiest thing to do would be to put a buffer around each of the
points (you could specify 50 m if it is in projected coordinates),
converting them to polygons, and then your task becomes an intersection of
two different polygon objects.

I haven't done this type of operation in R, but I suspect you could find
your answer with the following functions:

library(sp)
?over

library(rgeos)
?gBuffer
?gIntersects

I suggest putting up a subset of your data illustrating the problem, and
then maybe someone else who has a better idea on polygon to polygon
intersects/overlays could suggest the method.

Cheers, Lyndon