Hello Paul,
sorry for abstruse mail. I am using R version 2.13.2 on windows (64
bit). I am trying to open ASTER data files(*.hdf). Though, I tried few
things like readGDAL() and raster() but got error message
"53127_20120124074826_13837.hdf' not recognised as a supported file
format" . I tried to load hdf5 package but while installing it I got
Warning message:
In getDependencies(pkgs, dependencies, available, lib) :  package 'hdf5'
is not available (for R version 2.13.2). I saw the discussion on hdf
file on the list with topic "*What is the latest re: reading HDF files
with R*".  In the discussion Roger pointed out that building gdal
against hdf format might help but I do not have a clue how to do that.
let me know if you want more info from my end.

Regards,

Vikram.