I used the command window.  there were  7 narrow bands and 3 broadband,
both black and white
albeldo.. 24  16day periods.. so it was a lot of files in different
directories.

First I tested a few with the GUI window, then I wrote a one line script to
recurse through all the
directories and transform from HDF to Gtiff.  The projection information
doesnt get written, but they
were all WGS84 so that was easy to handle on reading into raster. I was
going to do a blog
post on it, but havent had the time.