On Thu, 17 May 2012, Hodgess, Erin wrote:

Hello again.

I'm having a little bit of trouble with spTransform (probably I'm doing it
wrong), but here is what I'm doing:

Original data frame with UTM locations near Phuket, Thailand:
test1.df
 Loc    east   north
1   a 748.168 602.861
2   b 754.302 615.609
proj1 <- CRS("+proj=utm +zone=47N")

Your points are 750m east and 600m north of the given projection origin. If you meant km, set the units by adding +units=km to the proj4string. However, this gives me:

         coordinates Loc
1  (101.24, 5.44994)   a
2 (101.295, 5.56496)   b

which is not on Phuket, so something else is wrong here. Do you know definitely that the input coordinates are UTM zone 47? Reversing the eastings and northings gets a bit closer:

proj1 <- CRS("+proj=utm +zone=47N +units=km")
coordinates(test1.df) <- c("north", "east")
proj4string(test1.df) <- proj1
spTransform(test1.df, CRS("+proj=longlat +datum=WGS84"))
         coordinates Loc
1  (99.9308, 6.7677)   a
2 (100.046, 6.82295)   b

but isn't there yet (reversed coordinate order does happen). What was the source of the coordinates?

Roger

coordinates(test1.df) <- c("east","north")
proj4string(test1.df) <- proj1

Set up a spatial data frame
test1.df
        coordinates Loc
1 (748.168, 602.861)   a
2 (754.302, 615.609)   b
spTransform(test1.df, CRS("+proj=longlat +datum=WGS84"))
          coordinates Loc
1 (94.518, 0.00543748)   a
2 (94.518, 0.00555246)   b

Now the answers should be about 8 degrees north and 98 degrees East.

Sincerely,
Erin

Erin M. Hodgess, PhD
Associate Professor
Department of Computer and Mathematical Sciences
University of Houston - Downtown
mailto: hodge...@uhd.edu

Roger Bivand
Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.
voice: +47 55 95 93 55; fax +47 55 95 95 43
e-mail: roger.biv...@nhh.no