On Sun, 2 Dec 2012, Edzer Pebesma wrote:

Roger, what do you mean by "Its [Spatialite's] future status is unknown"?

Only that people have been talking it up, but I haven't seen data on adoption (or repeated pleas from users) that would show that it has reached a critical mass of any kind, let alone of the mass/mess of shapefiles. So for the time being, OGR is the obvious route, but building spatialite without Excel, without GEOS, etc. I found its compile option to include GEOS development (trunk) features very concerning - even GEOS advise against building against its experimental features.

A few months ago I found an interesting discussion here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups=#!topic/geospatial-mobile-data-format-for-vectors/VEri8doLNz4
which convinced me that spatialite is a software, rather than an open
(file) format - the format is of course there, but not specified
otherwise than by the software that reads/writes it (sqlite).

Well, if it is software, someone could Rcpp it, but I don't see why, when what it offers for us is GEOS again, and probably more muddle on CRS and codepages - controlling what GDAL/OGR do is a serious enough task without mixing in less well-judged and cautious software (QGIS?). My take on the discussion you cite would be close to Paul Ramsey's doubts.

I'm also interested in spatialite, as I do not see other really useful
data formats (although it's not a format!) that can be used to exchange
spatio-temporal data to other environments, say ArcGIS or so.

Well, OGR could move in that direction, couldn't it? Then some drivers would be have temporal capabilities, others not; of course, someone would need to do some work on generalisable data models, but OGR could lead here (INPE?).

Taking the OGR path is of interest, but of course OGR has no idea of
time. For this path, the main burden would be there where people prepare
the distributions that are used by the windows and OS-X CRAN build
trains, right?

That's why contributing upstream to OGR is a better idea, unless the data models would become too convoluted. The same applies - as I wrote - to SQL in OGR.

The R SQLiteMap package, IIRC, was built on top of the SQLite driver
directly without OGR, and parsed the geometry columns directly; I once
looked at it, but was somehow not overwhelmed by enthousiasm and forgot
why -- was it restricted to WKT representation of geometry?

It was written for a particular purpose some time ago, and is now orphaned by its authors. CRAN policy is to orphan maintainerless packages that have unanswered issues.

Best wishes,

Roger

Best regards,