On Fri, 7 Dec 2012, Sarah Goslee wrote:

Hi Simon,

I've copied this back to the list, as is encouraged.

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM, O'Hanlon, Simon J
<simon.ohan...@imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
Hi Sarah, thank you.

My data points are located in West Africa, so I think a good projection would be Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area.

This does raise one more question for me. I also have some raster data that I wish to use as covariates which is also in geographic coordinates. If I try to simply reproject a raster, I think it would screw up the regular grid. Does it make sense if I convert the lat-long raster to a SpatialPointsDataFrame and transform this to LAEA so I could then create a grid in the desired planar coordinates from scratch and use over() to assign values from the reprojected spatial points onto the raster?

A reprojected raster is still a raster, and thus a regular grid. Or am
I missing something?

Yes, a warped raster is a raster, but a reprojected raster will in general be a set of irregular points. So resampling is invoved one way or the other. Whether one queries the raster as-is with spatial points, and then projects the output, or warps the raster doing spatial query with projected points will depend a bit on the support(s) of the data sets. Maybe see: ?projectRaster in raster for warping.

Roger

Sarah

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,