Edzer:
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 2:34 PM, Agustin Lobo ~ from Barry Rowlingson
wrote:
To convert to SpatialLines, get the coordinates and build in the
usual convoluted manner:

 > s=data.frame(x=runif(10),y=1:10,z=rnorm(10))
 > coordinates(s)=~x+y
 > L = SpatialLines(list(Lines(list(Line(coordinates(s))),"X")))
 > plot(L)
Convoluted is not the same as orphaned, certainly, but one gets the sense that
'Line' owes its existence to matters of plotting rather than line as line,
independent of
drawing it, and this may have some import upon line analysis and the
possibility of
arriving at topology and dispensing with shared lines and the like.

So love would be something like not depending on plotting for existence.  You
guys
are the experts, mine are just the reflections of a mere mortal.
Chris