Robert, from what I understand, use raster package in 32-bit to open and
write as a new netCDF file (using writeRaster) and then open in 64-bit using
ncdf. This way I should be able to bypass size limit issue if I come across
large datasets.
So far, I have read the netCDF file as raster using brick() command. In my
next steps, I am trying to compute monthly anomalies of the netcdf data and
extract monthly means using another raster layer. Any suggestions regarding
these steps would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Prajjwal