Hi All,

I've made a start on a rewrite of rgdal. You can find it at
https://github.com/thk686/rgdal2.

There is still lots to do. I would be happy to have a GSOC student work on
this project if anyone is interested (via R or OSGeo). In particular I
would really like to have a test suite. Writing the examples is what is
slowing me down at this point.

I do not store the auto-generated files in git, so you need roxygen2 and
Rcpp to build.

Some of the goals of the project are to expose GDAL/OGR facilities through
a native R interface emulating arrays, lists, etc; to make it easy to
iterate over raster blocks and vector features; and to provide support for
raster-vector operations.

It is semi-useable at this point; I'd be happy to have folks test it out.

THK

--
http://www.keittlab.org/