How can one control the color of lines with plot(SpatialPolygonsDataFrame)?

Adding lwd=9 to the arguments for plot produces black borders so wide most of the red disappears:

map(xlim=c(10, 90), ylim=c(30, 60))
library(raster)
ct <- getData("countries")
plot(subset(ct, NAME %in% c("Azerbaijan", "Uzbekistan", "Tajikistan",
                            "Turkmenistan", "Croatia")),
            add=TRUE, col='red', lwd=9)

A related question is how can I see the plot function used here? Methods dispatch does not take this to plot.default nor to plot.SpatialPolygonsDataFrame, as it would with an S3 method.

          Thanks,
          Spencer

#########################
Thanks to Gilles Leduc, Greg Snow, Thomas Adams, Barry Rowlingson, and Michael Sumner for their replies. For the archives, in case someone else might find this in the archives, I will record here two solutions to my problem.

1. Michael's reply was the simplest, especially since it worked with "map" adding "add=TRUE" and "col" to the plot:

map(xlim=c(10, 90), ylim=c(30, 60))
library(raster)
ct <- getData("countries")
plot(subset(ct, NAME %in% c("Azerbaijan", "Uzbekistan", "Tajikistan",
                            "Turkmenistan", "Croatia")),
            add=TRUE, col='red')

2. Before I saw Michael's reply, I had solved the problem with much greater effort: (1) I downloaded a zip file for each country from "www.diva-gis.org/datadown", as suggested by Gilles. (2) Unzipping produced folders with names like "..\TWN_adm" and files with names beginning "TWN_adm0", "TWN_adm1", and "TWN_adm2" and extensions bdf, prj, sbn, sbx, shp, and shx. I could then get what I wanted with code like the following:

Taiwan0 <- readShapeSpatial("..\TWN_adm0")
map(xlim=c(100, 150), ylim=c(10, 30))
plot(Taiwan0, add=TRUE, col='blue', lwd=3, fill=FALSE)

      Again, thanks for the replies.