Admittedly, the choice of the initial parameter is not an easy task. Different models combine the components in a different way. In the separable model for instance, the spatial and temporal variogram are set to a joint sill of 1 each where the sill of the entire variogram is a separate parameter. Contrary, the metric covariance model only has a single variogram model as input that represents the entire joint sill where others are a product or the sum of two or three models (see [1] for details). I wrote a shiny app that is available as source from [2] and a link to a running instance is listed at [3]. Running the app locally for one owns empirical variogram might help to identify the right starting values.

HTH,

 Ben

[1] https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/gstat/vignettes/spatio-temporal-kriging.pdf
[2] https://github.com/BenGraeler/copulatheque/tree/master/spacetime