[reposting to list after a bounce...]

Interesting, but I think we need more details...

Do the lines have to start and finish at specific locations in the polygons
- like the centroid, or anywhere?

So one line might be 3 segments of 10km each connecting two polygon
centroids that are 15km apart? Imagining three rigid rods of length 10
connected at their ends and with the first and last also connected to two
fixed points tells me there's an infinite number of possible solutions.
There's probably also a number of ways of sampling from those solutions.
Its going to get very complicated with a larger number of segments.

Hmmmmm.....