Thank you for pointing to this possibility, I'll add it to the stars docs somewhere.

This works but only slightly adapted, e.g. as

out = read_stars(system.file("tif/L7_ETMs.tif", package = "stars")) %>%
  slice(band, 1) %>%
  setNames("x") %>%
  mutate(x = case_when (x<100 ~ NA_real_,   x>100 & x<150 ~ 2))

where:
- I uses setNames("x") so that the attribute is renamed to "x", and you can use x in the case_when expressions (rather than the lengthy "L7_ETMs.tif") - I chnaged NA into NA_real_ : the first RHS of the formulas need to be all of the same type; as typeof(NA) is "logical", it breaks on the second RHS which returns a numeric; if you would TRUE or FALSE rather than 2 in the second case_when formula, using NA would be the right thing to do in the first.

The examples of case_when document the need for typed NA in RHS: this is intended behavior.