Dear Danlin,

I think you need SKATER (Spatial 'K'luster Analysis by Tree Edge Removal) algorithm that is implemented in package 'spdep' (function skater()) and does spatially constrained clustering. The results of SKATER are contiguous regions formed by more or less similar neighboring polygons. It was published by Assuncao et al. (2006). Here you can find a tutorial:
https://geodacenter.github.io/tutorials/spatial_cluster/skater.html

HTH,
Ákos
_____