(cc-ing the r-sig-geo maillist)

On 22/10/2022 13:52, Nick Wray wrote:
Hi Micha  Thanks for your ideas which I will look into   I hadn't heard of r-sig-geo before but I've signed up to it.  I'm a bit of beginner as far as geospatial in R goes.  What I am ultimately trying to do is this - my PhD research is into the relative proportions of the effects of climate change and land use on streamflow in Scottish rivers (I'm based at Edinburgh) and to this end I need to create a map of catchments eg the Tweed onto which I can placing flow gauging stations/ weather stations etc .  I have catchment outline shapefiles and the stations but finding the bit of the whole of the UK river system shapefile which is the Tweed catchment is tricky, as the shapefile matrix doesn't have names in it and I am trying to identify the Tweed and its tributaries from the coordinates of its mouth sources and so on...  that's why i need to pull out the coordinates.  Any suggestions 'd be v welcome

So you have a polygon shapefile of the "Tweed" catchment, and a line vector shapefile of all UK rivers. Is that correct so far? Then you need to intersect the UK rivers with the Tweed polygon to obtain tweed rivers.

In that case:

library(sf)

uk_rivers <- st_read(dsn="path/to/rivers.shp")

tweed <- st_read(dsn="path/to/tweed.shp)

tweed_rivers = st_intersection(uk_rivers, tweed)

The tweed_rivers result should be a line feature of rivers inside the tweed polygon. The result should have the same attribute columns as the uk_rivers. So if the UK rivers has an attribute column with names, then the result should have the same names.

HTH

Nick