Hi all,
I am still novice in using sp and/or Maptools and  I find difficult to
locate basic tutorials and general description ...
I am probably some good source of info?

My problem is very simple and I brlieve it covers some basic handling of
"GIS" data desirable in geoR:

I would like to read some shapefiles of polygons( I know how to do that)
and loop through all the polygons to be able to compute the shortest
distance to one another (fix) polygon
e.g. distance to the sea or to a montain
-I had at one point a polylist but probably I need to have "consistant"
polygon for each element of the list ?
-is there any distance method supported by a class "polygon" which can
compute the distance to another geometry?

thanks

--
Dr Didier Leibovici
        http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/cgs/leibovici.shtml