I don't know of any general guidelines here. I would settle with a reasonable number of point pairs (preferably over 20) per lag.
--
Edzer

PUJAN RAJ REGMI wrote:
Dear sir,
Thank you very much for the help. I would like to ask another question regarding the "width" selection. For omni directional which width should I choose in case when data set are in grid pattern?(in my case 12m in each x and y dir. i.e. 16.97m in diagonal) I saw selectiong different width (12 or 16.97m) resulted the plot varied slightly which can be even vivid when i got the parameters for the sill and range of the model semivariograms of such plots. I suppose the 12 m would be the good choce as the curve will be more contninous but in the same time ecah "dist" will have less no. of pairs but tradeoff between no. pairs and no."dist" should be done?? While for directional semivariogram like in E-W and N-S is that necessary I should choose 12m and in 45 and 135 16.97m?
Thanking you
Pujan