Thank you for your response and assisting me with clarifying my question.  Here
is a portion of the code I am using:

xxx04 <- ppp(x=mpb04$Easting, y=mpb04$Northing, window=tpi1.win)
dens2004<-density(xxx04)
save(dens2004, file="dens2003.Rdata"
dens2004.load<-load("dens2004.Rdata")
dens2004.im<-as.im(dens2004.load, W=tpi1.win)

fm <- ppm(xxx04, ~x + y + density, Poisson(), covariates=list(dens2004.load)
#"Error in model.frame.default(formula=fmla, data=glmdata, subset=(.mpl.SUBSET
== : invalid type(closure) for variable 'density')

I hope this elucidates the problem further.  Any help you can provide would be
wonderful.  Thank you.

Sincerely,

Honey-Marie de la Giroday