Hi

Aside from the books and link suggestions, the  safest way to start
dealing with open source GIS is to run everything is a VMWare virtual
machine.

In this site you can download a virtual machine image with Ubuntu as OS
and with all the OpenSource software installed and running
(GRASS/Qgis/R/FWTools etc)

http://www.gisvm.com/

Best
Jorge

--
Ph.D. Jorge Samuel Mendes de Jesus

European Commission (EC)
Joint Research Centre Directorate (DG JRC)
TP 441, Via Fermi 1
21020 Ispra (VA)
Italy

Phone: +39 0332 78 3536
Fax:   +39 0332 78 5466

http://rem.jrc.cec.eu.int

"The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any
circumstances be regarded as stating an official position of the European
Commission"