On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, Jonathan Boyd Thayn wrote:

I want to know the length of the shared border of neighboring polygons
in a shapefile.  I can use the slots () function to access the the
"polyons" slot of the file, but I can't seem to create a list of the
node coordinates of the polyon.  Is there a way to do this easily?

I imagine that you mean the end nodes of arcs with known left and right neighbours? The actual ring coordinates are simply the "coords" slots of each "Polygon" object in the list in the "Polygons" slot of each "Polygons" object in the list in the "polygons" slot of the SpatialPolygons object (for a very special definition of "simple"). But they wouldn't help much, because you need to build the topology first. If you have access to ArcGIS, you can push the polygons out for Arc as a shapefile, convert them into a coverage (if they build cleanly) and get the coverage back into R using readOGR as both polygons and arcs:

http://www.asdar-book.org/exercises.php?excode=3

and link therein. Getting the lengths from the arcs could use SpatialLinesLengths() in sp, and add the values to the SpatialLinesDataFrame; this function assumes planar coordinates at present. The coverage2nb() would need gentle editing to return a list of lengths in the same format as the nb object.

If GRASS is OK, look at vect2neigh() in the spgrass6 package by Markus Neteler - it does what you want if the topology builds cleanly, and possibly not on all platforms.

Hope this helps,

Roger

Thanks.

Jonathan B. Thayn
Ph.D. Candidate – Geography and Remote Sensing
University of Kansas
2101 Constant Avenue, Higuchi Hall, Rm 121
Lawrence, Kansas 66047-3759
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://people.ku.edu/~jonthayn

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]