Hi,

I am currently using the R maps package in an on-line visualization tool:

http://mazamascience.com/OilExport/

Because of the lack of post-Soviet borders, I am currently investigating
replacing the maps package with Roger Bivand's examples using
TM_WORLD_BORDERS_SIMPL-0.2.RData:

http://spatial.nhh.no/R/etc/world_map_intro.html

But am I disappointed with how long it takes to generate a plot on my
machine.  In order for my databrowser to be truly interactive, I would like
to get a response time of <2 secs for generating the plots.  Currently,
using Roger's examples, the plot spends an inordinate amount of time drawing
the coastlines of Canada and Norway and thousands of tiny islands that are
unimportant in my scenario.

Is anyone aware of an even more simplified version of the data that went
into creating TM_WORLD_BORDERS_SIMPL-0.2.RData so that we might have
TM_WORLD_BORDERS_LOWRES.RData for use cases like my own.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-- Jon

--
Jonathan Callahan 206-708-5028