Hi Pilar,

I think this list appropriate :). What would be a good idea is to get a book that describes kriging, some standard books are:

Chilès, J. & Delfiner, P. Geostatistics: Modeling Spatial Uncertainty John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1999 Christensen, R. Plane Answers to Complex Questions: The Theory of Linear Models Springer, New York, 1996
Journel, A. & Huijbregts, C. Mining Geostatistics Academic Press., 1978

A more practical book would be the Applied Spatial Data Analysis in R, see http://www.asdar-book.org/ for more info.

On the web you could look at:

http://www.kriging.com/, Owned by Isobel Clark
http://spatial-analyst.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page, not sure if there is something here on the theory of kriging.

For a description of kriging (quite mathematical) you can also look at a paper I wrote, you can download it from http://intamap.geo.uu.nl/~paul/Publications.html, it is the first one titled Read-time automatic...etc

This is all I could think of :).

cheers,
Paul

Pilar Tugores Ferra schreef:
Dear all,

I'm trying to estimate the variance of a global abundance estimation computed
by kriging interpolation and I am stuck.

One can easily retrieve the variance at each prediction location (either using
the package gstat, geoR or automap) using expressions similar to:

kriging_object$krige.var

or >kriging_object$var1.var

but, in fact,  I have no idea how these variance values are computed.

Could anybody tell me how is it computed or suggest some reference material?
Could this question be inappropriate for this list in which case I would also
apprieciate if someone could tell me where to ask it.

Cheers,

Pilar

Mª Pilar Tugores Ferrà

PhD Student

Instituto Español de Oceanografía

Centro Oceanográfico de Baleares

Muelle de Poniente s/n

07015 Palma de Mallorca

Baleares, España

Telf.: (34) 971 401561

La información contenida en este e-mail y sus ficheros adjuntos es totalmente
confidencial y no debería ser usado si no fuera usted alguno de los
destinatarios. Si ha recibido este e-mail por error, por favor avise al
remitente y bórrelo de su buzón o de cualquier otro medio de almacenamiento.
This email is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is not the
original intended  recipient. If you have received this e-mail in  error please
inform the sender and delete it from  your mailbox or any other storage
mechanism.
        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Drs. Paul Hiemstra
Department of Physical Geography