Mehdi Khan wrote:
Sorry about that, this is what I did:

wald<-read.table ("C:/Documents and Settings/MK/My Documents/USGS/R Data/wald/california.xyz")

names(wald)[1]<- "LON"

names(wald)[2]<- "LAT"

names(wald)[3]<- "vs30"

coordinates(wald)<- c("LON", "LAT")

gridded(wald)<- TRUE

suggested tolerance minimum: 0.125000000000666
Error in points2grid(points, tolerance, round, fuzz.tol) :
  dimension 1 : coordinate intervals are not constant
Hi,

This error suggests that the data in california.xyz is actually not on a regularly spaced grid.

cheers,
Paul

note: this is the same data frame I asked a question about last week. There is also a grid file available but it seems extremely difficult to get it to read in R. ideas? On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Paul Hiemstra <p.hiems...@geo.uu.nl <mailto:p.hiems...@geo.uu.nl>> wrote:

    Mehdi Khan schreef:

        Hello everyone,  I have a table with 2 columns containing
        geographical
        coordinates (lat, long) and one column containing attribute
        data.  This is a
        data frame object which I would like to convert into a grid
        object.  It is
        the 7.3 mb "california" file on this page:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/hazmaps/interactive/vs30/predefined.php

        I tried to use the "gridded" command, but it did not work for
        my data. Is
        there any other method?  Thank you!

        Mehdi Khan

               [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

    How exactly did you try the gridded command. Please be specific.

    cheers,
    Paul

--
Drs. Paul Hiemstra